Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Weekly Dairy Free/ Egg Free Dinner Menu Plan 1

Let me preface this by noting the obvious. I am not a gourmet cook. I try to serve relatively balanced, relatively healthy meals, but I also like to take advantage of short cuts when I can. I can make a marinara sauce from scratch, but 9 times out of 10 I find the jarred variety works just fine for me. If you see some of my short cuts and feel like taking the homemade path, feel free! The benefit of making your own stuff, of course, is that you know exactly what is in everything, which can be extra helpful in Allergyland.

When I first started adapting our eating habits to Addie's (and mine until she weans) diet I was kind of lost. Short of plain meat, rice, and fruits and veggies what else could we eat? I searched for menu plans and found a lot of vegan plans, but not willing to give up meat also, I found limited inspiration.

So here is the menu plan I wish I had found after Addie's diagnosis.

I based the plan off of the "give each day a theme" formula. Thank you to the wise mom who shared how that formula system works. Basically, you give each day of the week a theme like "beef", "Mexican", "soup", ect. Then each week you fill in recipes that fit that description.

My formula is as follows: Monday/Crock pot, Tuesday/Chicken, Wednesday/Pork, Thursday/Easy, Friday/Beef, Saturday/Leftovers, Sunday/Soup and or Sandwiches. Future menu plans will follow this formula also.


Monday:
Lentil and Wild Rice Soup
French bread
Bagged Salad w/ dressing
Fruit of choice

Tuesday:
Honey Chicken
Rice
Broccoli w/ smart balance light

Wednesday:
BLT Salad
Fruit of choice

Thursday:
BBQ Kielbasa
Peas
Fruit of Choice

Friday:
No Fuss Fajitas
Fruit of choice

Saturday:
Leftovers!
Fruit of choice
Salad w/ dressing

Sunday:
Campbell's Ham and Split Pea Soup
Crackers
Fruit of choice

The grocery list for the dinners would look like this:

Meat
  • 1 pound round or skirt steak
  • Package of bacon
  • Package of reduced fat turkey kielbasa
  • 2-4 Chicken breasts

Pantry
  • A dairy free taco seasoning packet
  • Salsa
  • Slivered almonds
  • Paul Newman's reduced fat balsamic vinaigrette
  • Dried lentils
  • 6 oz. package of long grain rice blend w/ spice pack
  • 14 oz can of chick broth
  • BBQ Sauce
  • Wheat germ
  • Honey
  • Dijon mustard
  • Apricot jam
  • Soy sauce
  • Rice
  • "Premium" brand crackers
  • 2 Cans Campbell's Chunky Split Pea Soup

Bread
  • Tortillas
  • Dairy free French bread (most bakery sections have this you just have to look around and read labels)

“Dairy” Aisle
  • Tofutti sour cream
  • Almond or soy milk
  • Smart balance light

Produce
  • 2 bags shredded lettuce, possibly 3 if you have a salad loving family or older kids who will eat salad
  • Fruit of choice for 7 meals


Frozen
  • Edamame or peas
  • 10 oz package of frozen veg mix
  • Broccoli
  • Peas

No comments:

Post a Comment