Sunday, December 21, 2008

Why we are vegans who eat meat...

Last May we discovered that our daughter has an IgE allergy to eggs and dairy. She was still exclusively breast fed at the time and was reacting through proteins that transferred into her milk from food I ate. We met with an allergist an she prescribed totally eliminating all trace of egg and dairy from her diet, which meant as long as I was still nursing her I would need to eliminate as well to provide her a safe food source. A true dairy/cheese addict, this was a major challenge for me. Not to mention near all my standby cheap, quick, and easy meals involved eggs, dairy, or both (think fritta, breakfast for dinner, grilled cheese, ect.)

I began testing new recipes and products. I bought a few vegan cookbook. I taste tested soy alternatives to dairy products. We don't have a Whole Foods or a Trader Joes around so our specialty products are more limited then some who live in urban areas. Our Krogers has a nice "health" food section, though.

This blog is to help me keep track of my successes (and failures) and help other allergy moms out with tested recipes. Possibly in the future I will have dairy and egg free meal plans.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment